If you see the looming shadow of the Minotaur, r u n! But seriously, this is Crete. This is the one-of-a-kind island, its mythical history and contemporary beauty unmatched by anything else you dare compare it to. It was here in Knossos that Icarus spread his feather-and-wax wings, and flew towards the sun – a decision he didn’t live to regret. A bronze age, archaeological site, immersed in a labyrinth of tales, legends, myths and facts.
Two other impressive destinations are Elounda and Agios Nikolaos, where international celebrities take up temporary residence at five star hotels. Elounda has seen Hollywood stars, kings and queens, heads of state and Arab sheikhs, and continues to attract the rich and famous.
Crete Must See
- The Knossos Palace, spread out over an area of 22,000 sq.m., including the Throne Room, Pithoi (storage jars), frescoes, remnants of the Minoan era.
- The Heraklion Archaeological Museum, full of Minoan artifacts.
- The small town of Agios Nikolaos, where a stroll by the lake will give you a plethora of dining choices.
- Chania, is one of the most beautiful and romantic cities in Greece, with old venetian quarters, flea markets, old shops and unique atmosphere. Chania (also spelled: Haniá)is the capital city, a place where different civilizations have flourished throughout the centuries. The old town is built around the Venetian port and is also a relatively integral area where Venetian buildings and later Turkish elements compose a unique architectural style. This makes a unique romantic atmosphere ideal for couples and artists; they all end their walks at the old lighthouse to see the famous sunset of Chania.
Crete Must Do
- A brief but emotional visit to the island of Spinalonga, at one time a leper colony in the Gulf of Elounda.
- Sightseeing at the village of Plaka. Windmills, walks through the olive groves and a visit to the site where the ancient sunken city of Olous lies at the bottom of the sea, near Elounda.
- Wandering around Chania Old Town’s maze-like alleys with the beautiful Venetian mansions, the fountains and the elaborate churches will help you discover well-preserved historical monuments.
- Explore around Chania, some of the most beautiful locations of western Crete in Vamos Peninsula, learn about the ancient Muses and taste the authentic Cretan cuisine under the cool shade of a huge plane tree.
- Discover starting from Chania, some of the most interesting routes of mainland Crete, taste great wine and olive oil and superb food in Milia, a unique old village without electricity and with the authentic atmosphere of old times. Drive through photogenic landscapes and scenic remote coasts.
Crete Must Stay
- ELOUNDA BEACH HOTEL
Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas, the ultimate hideaway with luxury guest rooms, villas and suites in Crete Greece. In a unique waterfront location, experience the feeling of relaxing on your own heaven at sea level with outstanding personalized service. Choose among seven accommodation clubs with corresponding features, services and privileges that best satisfy your requests.
- ELOUNDA PENINSULA ALL SUITE HOTEL
Elounda Peninsula All Suite Hotel is the most exclusive hotel in Elounda. Positioned on a peninsular stretch of land it enjoys an outstanding location overlooking the Bay of Elounda, Mirabello Bay, and the expanse of the Aegean Sea. The view is blue as far as the eye can see. The hosts and the entire staff of this hotel have been selected on the basis of their outstanding courtesy, professionalism and efficiency.Founded on a tradition of excellence in service unparalleled in Greece, the dedicated team of the hotel is always at your service, whether it is for en-suite dining, private training and massage schedules, or children's care and recreation. A masterpiece of architecture and design, everything is authentic artwork...there can be no comparisons!