If western civilization had a birth certificate, Athens would definitely be its birthplace and the date would be lost in the millennia. Ancient, yet vibrant, luminous and spontaneous, eternal Athens, capital of Greece, crowded with legends, myths, battles, victories and invasions, but also the Athens which parties all night. From the traditional tavernas to the restaurants and haute cuisine, it is a seductive city: Sights, sounds, smells, tastes – a visitor’s heaven surrounded by beaches, islands and topped by its crown jewel, the Acropolis. And that heaven, made more heavenly by “MyOdyssey.”
Athens Must See
- The Acropolis and the Parthenon, the crown jewel of history, is Greece’s beacon to the world for thousands of years. You can’t help but feel at awe as you look up at the Parthenon’s harmonious lines or around the ancient fortress, bathed by Attica’s magical sunlight.
- The Acropolis Museum. A stunning display of precious artefacts and statues, one of the newest and most impressive in the world. A tour here becomes a fantastic voyage in time. Airy, imposing, spacious, full of light, with the Acropolis looming over it, the immaculate building takes on a different dimension for the visitor.
- The Benaki Museum ranks among the major institutions that have enriched the material assets of the Greek state. It is also the oldest museum in Greece operating as a Foundation under Private Law. Through its extensive collections that cover several different cultural fields and its more general range of activities serving more than one social need, the Benaki Museum is perhaps the sole instance of a complex structure within the broader network of museum foundations in Greece.
Athens Must Taste
Athens is a massive culinary heaven where lunch and dinner are rituals worth experiencing. Michelin star-awarded restaurants, or simple fish tavernas at Microlimano, it makes no difference. The shrimp is succulent and the tomatoes red, ripe and ready to be devoured. Food is prepared fresh and when combined with a fantastic view, makes for a perfect day. And “MyOdyssey” will pick the best for you.
Athens Must Do
- Athens on foot? Why not? By day or late afternoon, stroll from the Kallimarmaro Stadium towards the Olympieion and Hadrian’s Gate, then up the picturesque hill to the Herodus Atticus Theatre and the Acropolis and, finally, down to Plaka and the Ancient Agora. A great way to also combine sightseeing with window shopping around the souvenir shops in the area.
- From leatherwear to hip jewellery, from Dior and La Roche to Greek designers, Athens is packed with great deals. From Voukourestiou Street all the way to Kolonaki, a short distance can take hours to complete if you stop and look at the fabulous displays, every few steps. The adventure of shopping, the Greek way.
- And now, for a fly-by over mythical, legendary sights. In “MyOdyssey’s” helicopter, take a deep breath and look down at the infinite blue, ornamented by such treasures as the Parthenon, the Stadium, the bustling city – then follow the coastline to Sounio, circle the Temple of Poseidon, slide over the Aegean and, on your trip back, glance at the marvellous Olympic Stadium where the games were held in 2004.
- Attica is surrounded by crystal-clear, azure water and sandy beaches. “MyOdyssey” will put you aboard a sailing yacht, where gentle winds push you towards the magic of the Saronic Gulf and its nearby islands, giving a new meaning to the term “island hopping.”
- Athens, the navel of culture, music and the Arts. Athens, where all summer long, the Herodus Atticus Theatre offers the full range of ancient Greek tragedies, as well as contemporary musical performances. Such an evening, under the stars, is magic you’ll find nowhere else in the world.
- Visit the historic ancient city of Marathon and attend to the world famous Marathon race.Among all the Olympic sport events, the Marathon Race stands out, as it commemorated a true historic and heroic event: it was a real triumph, accomplished by a news-bearing barefoot soldier from ancient Athens, who upon his arrival in Athens city announced - in his last words - the victory of the Hellenes against the Persians in the Marathon Battle in 490 BC that took place in Marathon.The 42,195m Marathon Race became one of the most important events during the revival of the Olympic Games in 1896.
Athens Must Stay
- GRANDE BRETAGNE
If you are a demanding guest with an affinity for the upscale and classical style hotel with a stunning view from your balcony (the Parliament, the Acropolis, Lycabbetus Hill and the Stadium,) then the Grand Bretagne is the place for you. Not only does it boast a fascinating history, but also its great service and aesthetics to justify its many awards. Three restaurants, four bars, a magnificent spa and comfortable rooms and suites, make this centerpiece of Greek hospitality your ideal headquarters in Athens.
- HILTON ATHENS
If ultra-modern is more your style, there is no better place than the landmark Athens Hilton, recently renovated, with a stunning lobby, spectacular roof garden, indoor and outdoor pools, gym, spa and many choices for wining and dining. Most of the rooms offer great view.
- ASTIR PALACE
Sprawling across 75 acres of sun-drenched gardens on a pine-dotted private peninsula, the resort complex includes three hotels Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, The Westin Athens and W Athens (opening 2014). Explore the endless recreational facilities and gourmet dining possibilities.The legendary atmosphere of Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa is enhanced by contemporary surroundings and spectacular views of the Saronic Gulf. Guest rooms and suites delight the senses with creative touches.The most distinctive feature, the resort's fully renovated bungalows, offer the ultimate in privacy and privileged services. Explore unlimited possibilities for recreation and rejuvenation. Arion Spa, featuring breathtaking views to the sea from the therapeutical pool and treatment rooms, is a unique spa escape. Outdoor pools, sports facilties, the resort´s Kid’s Club and other activities will exceed your expectations for fun and relaxation.Thanks to its unique setting on the private peninsula Astir Palace Resort in the heart of the Athenian Riviera, The Westin Athens offers the best of both worlds. Relax at classic seaside resort, with cosmopolitan Athens city life just a short drive away. Clean, contemporary lines and a cool, soothing color palette make the 162 rooms and suites the epitome of stylish elegance. Each is graced with the sumptuous Heavenly Bed® and a private balcony offering captivating and undisturbed views to the Saronic Gulf.
Astir Palace resort is located in the heart of the elite area of the Athenian Riviera, Vouliagmeni. This privileged location offers guests the pleasure of spending precious days and nights by the sea, with the possibility of visiting Athens' historical sites, museums and other attractions.
The resort´s prime location, only half an hour drive from the city, is convenient for reaching the cosmopolitan city centre of Athens, enjoying all the privileged services of a modern city and its cultural heritage (Acropolis, Olympic stadium, etc.), the exclusive shopping district and elite shopping spot of Glyfada. Surrounding areas offer a wide range of excursions and attractions, nearby archaeological temples (Cape Sounio) and atmospheric landscapes. Driving along the coastal road of "Posidonos", a beautiful coastline, you will pass by the beautiful beaches of Glyfada, Vouliagmeni and Varkiza.
- NEW Hotel
Offering an entirely NEW approach to young interior design, energetic hospitality, and seductive customer-centered services, NEW Hotel is the first ever hotel project of award winning designer duo, Fernando and Humberto Campana. YES! Hotels owner and international arts patron Dakis Joannou commissioned the Brazilian brothers for their eco-sensitive ethos and the use of contemporary handicraft practices and local idioms.The result is an intriguing 79-room establishment, where every public space and every floor has been creatively re-NEW-ed to include remnants of the former Olympic Palace Hotel. The interiors are simply outstanding, the unusual custom-made furniture and handmade fixtures making guests feel that they live and breathe in a major art installation.